Morice Lipsi (Moryce Lipszyc aka)

1898 1986
(Pologne) 1898 /   (Suisse) 1986

Morice LIPSI (also known as Moryce Lipszyc) 

Lodz (Pologne) 1898- Zurich (Switzerland) 1986

Morice Lipsi was born into a traditional family. In 1912, he arrived in Paris and settled at La Ruche, where his brother Samuel was already living. Samuel Lipschitz, who was an ivory sculptor, taught him the various techniques and materials used in sculpture. He exhibited his works at official exhibitions in Paris from 1921. In 1922, his first solo exhibition was held at the Galerie Hebrard in Paris.

In 1929, Moryce Lipszyc adopted the name Morice Lipsi to distinguish himself from his brother and Jacques Lipchitz, who had moved to La Ruche five years before him. In 1930, he married the Swiss artist Hildegard Weber and moved to a farm south of Paris.

In the 1930s, Morice Lipsi worked alone, far from the artistic schools and movements of his time. He acquired French nationality in 1933. In 1937, his work was presented at the World Fair.

In 1940, Lipsi took part in the wartime exodus and found refuge in Abzac, in the Charente region, where he continued to work with the help of the town council. He later escaped to Geneva, where he spent time with his friend Alberto Giacometti. He returned to Paris after the war. His brother Samuel was deported to Auschwitz and murdered by the Nazis.

From the 1960s, Lipsi was the president of the sculpture department at the Salon des Réalités Nouvelles. In the 1960s and 70s, he was commissioned to produce numerous monumental statues in France, Germany, Italy, Czechoslovakia, Israel, Iceland, and Japan.

 

He died in 1986 near Zurich. Many of his works are today exhibited at the Morice Lipsi Museum in Rosey, in the Haute-Saône department.