Jacques Loutchansky (Yakov Luchansky aka)

1876 1978
(Ukraine) 1876 /   (Israel) 1978

Jacques LOUTCHANSKY (also known as Yakov Luchansky)

Vinnytsia (Ukraine) 1876 – Israel 1978

 

Jacques Loutchansky was born in Vinnytsia, in the Podolie region. His father worked in a trading company. He took an interest in drawing from a young age. His father encouraged him to develop his artistic talent. He studied sculpture at the School of Fine Arts in Odessa and graduated in 1896.

Loutchansky arrived in Paris in 1903 where he studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts under Antonin Mercié. He settled at 4 rue Texel, where he lived for over thirty years. His studio was filled with wood, bronze, and plaster sculptures.

He exhibited his work at the Salon des Indépendants in 1906, at the Salon d’Automne in 1912 and at the Salon des Tuileries in 1923. His sculptures were also presented at the Exhibition of Modern Art in Moscow in 1928. The Galerie Pierre in Paris organized his first solo exhibition in 1938.

He spend much time at La Coupôle, where customers used to play pétanque. He made friends with Despiau, Carné, and Pompon.

In 1933, in his monograph dedicated to Jacques Loutchansky, André Levinson wrote:
Structure, consistence, volume, choice, and function of material, interpretation of the subject, everything reflects, in the compositions and portraits of Jacques Loutchansky a discreet originality, a mark of his distinct artistic character which reveals a deep yet hidden inner life.”

In 1949, he moved to Israel, where he produced numerous portraits of political activists. He also created bas-reliefs and nudes.

A retrospective on his work took place in Jerusalem on the occasion of his hundredth birthday.

 

Most of his works are today in Paris, Israel, the United States, and Germany.