Zygmunt Landau

1898 1962
(Pologne) 1898 /   (Israel) 1962

Zygmunt Landau was born into a family of rabbis. He studied with painter Henri Epstein at Jakub Kacenbogen’s drawing school in Lodz. He later attended Stanislas Lentz’s studio at the School of Fine Arts in Warsaw. When he was eighteen years old, he taught painting.

He arrived in Paris in 1920, and settled at La Ruche. He studied at the Grande Chaumière and the Colarossi Academies, and became friends with Kisling. He admired Cézanne and spent time at museums. In 1928, he went back to Poland to show his paintings in Warsaw and in Lodz. His work was also recognized in England and in the United States, thanks to the English critic and painter Roger Fry, who lived with him in Saint-Tropez. He illustrated Edmond Fleg’s Écoute Israël (Listen Israel), which was published by La Cigogne before World War II. In September 1939, he took refuge in Saint-Tropez.

Following the war, Zygmunt Landau spent his time between Saint-Tropez, Nice and Paris, where he regularly exhibited his work. He also spent time in London and Stockholm. After the 1950’s, he settled in Israel where he continued to paint. In 1962, he produced stained-glass windows for the small Y.M.C.A chapel in Tiberias, Israel. This was his ultimate work.