Born into a family of blacksmiths, Lubitch studied at the Fine Art Academy in Odessa.
In 1919 he moved to Berlin with a group of Russian artists including Pavel Tchelitchev, Jean Pougny and Lazare Meerson, with whom he designed stage and cinema sets. His dream was to devote himself entirely to painting, so he planned to go to Paris.
In 1923, a contract for the decoration of a Montmartrean cabaret gave him this opportunity. Once in Paris, he studied the work of Rembrandt, Goya and Degas and understood the importance of drawing.
In 1925 Antoine Bourdelle obtained his acceptance into the Salon des Tuileries. In Montparnasse, Lubitch formed a friendship with Zygmund Schreter and the sculptors Irene Codreano and Leon Indenbaum.
In 1934 he published an album entitled “Cirque”, comprising ten etchings and aquatints with a poem preface by George Rouault. During the war, Lubitch continued to paint in his rue d’Odessa atelier in Montparnasse.
In 1940 he did not declare himself as a Jew to the police. He was denounced in 1944 and interned in Drancy, arriving there on August 18, 1944, the day after the last convoy fpr Auschwitz. To commemorate the victims and the Shoah cause. Lubitch bequeathed his drawings produced in Drancy to the Yad Vasheim Institute in Jerusalem.
With the Liberation, he settled in rue Campagne Premier with his future wife Suzanne Boulboire, also a painter and their daughter.
tél : 01 77 38 46 51