Alexandre Altmann

1885 1934
(Ukraine) 1885 /   (France) 1934

Alexandre Altmann studied at the School of Fine Arts in Odessa. He left Odessa in 1905 and walked to Paris where he found a studio at La Ruche. There, he met Emile Schuffenecker. In 1910, Altman enjoyed a certain fame following the exhibition of his paintings Inondation de Paris (Paris’ flood). He then settled Rue des Perichaux, near La Ruche and was officially commissioned to produce some works for several public buildings (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Luxembourg Palace…). In 1920, he settled in Nemours.

At the end of his life, Altmann often stayed in Saint-Jean- de-Luz in the Basque Country and in Cannes in the French Riviera. A street in Crecy-en- Brie was named after him.